Saturday, March 5, 2011

A 'Go-to-Sketches' Reject and a confession

Where do I begin?
I was so excited a month ago, when 3 of my cards were picked up by Paper Crafts for their Stamp It Cards publication. I thought I had finally hit the mark. I had finally arrived. My first attempt at submitting for publication, and I was picked up. I must be an amazing crafter.
Well, God, by way of Paper Crafts, sure has a way of knocking me back to reality. I think I got a bit of a big head about myself, and thought that from now on, if I kept submitting, that each time at least something of mine would get chosen.
Well, I was wrong. None of the cards I submitted to the 'Go to Sketches' call were chosen. I was really bummed about it yesterday, but today I have a new perspective on the situation. I think that it is so easy for me to forget the main reason why I make cards: I love to do it. It brings me such joy, and is a huge stress reliever for me. I needed to be reminded of this. Everything else is just icing on the cake. Thank you, God for helping me to remember.
With all that said, I wanted to share one of the cards that got rejected. It's funny how my perspective has changes in the past day about the cards I submitted. I thought this card in particular was so AMAZING! And now that I look at it, I think it's a nice card, but nothing extraordinary. I'm just exited to have found a place to share it.
Also, I now have a new 'label' or category for my posts.......'publication rejects', and that's kinda exciting!
A final thought, if you all will indulge me....submitting cards for publication is a lot like life. There are ups and downs. You win some and you lose some. But in the end the race is with yourself. Does what you do make you happy? Does it encourage, inspire and lift up those around you? Do you try to do better than you did before? If you can answer yes to these questions, I think you are on the right track.
Thanks for stopping by and have a beautiful day.

8 comments:

Kelley Eubanks said...

This is a great post Amanda! I have been blessed to have several cards picked up but there are never any guarantees! I am always a nervous wreck and think if I don't get one picked up that I will just be devastated! But... it always work out okay... either way! It makes the times that you do get an acceptance that much better! It does push you to try and master your craft and it is definitely a lesson in humility! It helps us to grow in how we handle rejection and to not give up on the things that we want! Keep up the good work! :) Your card is great! :) Love ya!

Glenda J said...

I love your perspective! I know I got accepted once, then not for a while and now I have a couple of more for these sketches. Keep up the great work - I love the flowers and the colour combination on your card!

Anonymous said...

oh I bet you are one of those cheerful morning people, aren't you?.,.lol I love your card, andcongrats on being published in the Stamp it Cards!

Karen B. said...

I agree completely. I didn't even submit to the Sketch Call because when I had time to create, I just wasn't in the mood. I don't want to force myself to make cards just for publication calls because then it looses the fun for me. Sorry you didn't get any picked up this time but hoorah for the last acceptance!

Winter said...

Well Congrats on the pubs for the Stamp It! mag! I have been aceepted and rejected and I realize, that I will get over the bummed part! I took about 5 or 6 mths off and I finally submitted a few for this call and none were accepted. But I am fine with it! My goal last year, was to have a card published and God has Blessed me with SO much more than that! So I'm just happy with making prety things! :) LOVE this card too, the flowers are Beautiful! :)

Winter said...

*pretty :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda!
I just wanted to tell you I think your card is wonderful and congratulate you on the card pickup for Stamp It! Cards.
I appreciate your outlook!

Teri
Paper Crafts Go-to-Gal

Ashley Harris said...

What a great take on the sketch and fantastic attitude!!